Subscribe and listen on your favorite podcast player:
Welcome back to Pushing Forward with Alycia
Where disabilities find their voice. This week Alycia Anderson welcomes her friend, Brian McComak, CEO of Hummingbird Humanity, an expert in DEI, HR culture change and employee experience, and an openly gay man with a disability. Brian shares his experiences with mental health, depression, anxiety and the challenges of living with HIV, emphasizing the need to break free from outdated stigmas surrounding HIV, and how ultimately learning to live with his disabilities has enriched his ability to help corporations create workplace environments where all humans thrive.
- The importance of acknowledging the intersections of identity.
- The privilege that comes with his appearance as a white cisgender man.
- The need for the stereotypical white male allies in the DEI movement.
- Advocacy for human-centered leadership that encourages authenticity at work.
- Embracing the uniqueness of belonging over fitting in.
- The transformation of HIV management through science.
- Championing workplace environments where all humans thrive.
As they wrap up, Brian offers a powerful well-being tip: pause and ask, “Am I okay right now?” Focusing on gratitude in the present moment can transform challenging situations into healthier ones.
If you are experiencing signs of depression and need help immediately, contact the Depression Hotline at 866-903-3787 for free 24/7 support.
HIV Support: SAMHSA‘s National Helpline at 1-800-662-4357